Whether you're entertaining a crowd of 20 or 400, you want your reception to be a fun celebration. That is going to mean different things for different couples, venues and budgets. If you have a small group, do you really need a band or DJ? And what's worth the money for a larger group? Here are some ideas to help you pick the entertainment that best suits your wedding.Read More
Receptions are typically the most expensive part of the wedding, and there's a lot to take into consideration. What kind of lighting will you have? Buffet or plated meals? Will you hire a DJ or a live band? With so many options, there are plenty of areas to shave costs off your reception price tag. However, there are some reception upgrades that make all the difference.Read More
Wedding receptions have been shedding their cookie cutter formats for the past several years, and brides and grooms have more freedom than ever to make their day exactly what they want. The banquet hall venue, garter and bouquet tosses and conga line are still around, but are slowly being replaced with new traditions.
Here is a roundup of mainstay reception traditions, some brand new, some on their way out, and some you'll be seeing for years to come.
The Cornerstones: Some things never change. Here are a couple traditions that are here to stay.
· Special dances - The couple's first dance as bride and groom, as well as mother-son and father-daughter dances, are beloved traditions that give the bride and groom and their family members moments devoted to each other and celebrating the day. There will always be variations of this tradition, but it'll be a reception favorite for decades to come.
· Toasts - It's a common Western world tradition to wish the bride and groom well, and while variations come and go, the tradition is here to stay. It's typical for the best man, maid of honor and parents to give a speech at the reception, but more recently, people have been adding slideshow presentations and recorded messages.
The Trends: From Pinterest to YouTube to your Facebook feed, these are the hottest wedding trends right now.
· Themes - Back in the day - even a decade ago - the theme of most weddings was "wedding." Now you can find everything from Day of the Dead and Winter Wonderland to Harry Potter and Disney. Nothing is off-limits, and it's all about the couple showing off their true personalities for their guests.
· Photo Booths - Photo booths have exploded over the past few years, and most couples who booked one will tell you they were a huge hit at their wedding. They're fun for all ages and come at a variety of price points, so they're widely available and getting more use than ever. Only time will tell if this trend will stick around, or if its nearing the end of its heyday.
· Choreographed Dances - When it comes to viral YouTube videos, not even the walk down the aisle is sacred. Bridal parties everywhere are putting together dances to break out at the grand entrance, mid-reception, or even at the ceremony. It's undoubtedly fun and memorable, and will likely stick around at least a few more years in the wedding world.
On the Outs: Some of the former mandatory traditions that are starting to fade.
· Parents Paying - It used to be a common knowledge that the bride's parents would foot the bill for the entire wedding. The rules are much more lax now, as many couples are getting married older and are taking on more of the costs themselves or sharing the cost with both sets of parents.
· Waiting to See Each Other - Instead of waiting until the ceremony to see each other, many brides and grooms are electing to have a special moment together before the ceremony, often captured by the photographer as a "first look." Bonus: This allows many of the pictures to be taken before the ceremony, so the bridal party can have a little time to enjoy the cocktail hour, too.
· Garter Toss - This tradition dates back to the 14th century, and it was believed that receiving a piece of clothing from the bride would make the recipient lucky in love. Today it's more of a fun tradition, but it's falling out of favor with couples who feel it isn't appropriate for their wedding. Not to worry - there are plenty traditions to replace it with, like the ever-popular anniversary dance.
What reception traditions are you planning for your big day? We'd love to help you with the planning of your entire reception to ensure it's exactly what you wish. Just contact us to chat!
Isn't lighting just lights?
One of the overlooked - and undervalued - premium services that DJ4U can provide for your wedding day is elegant room lighting. At first brush, 'lighting' just sounds like a functionality issue, i.e. 'Can I see things?'. But, in the context of a wedding reception, it can have a profound impact on how your guests experience your event.
Transform any venue into your own
For the most part, when you pick a reception venue, you're doing so because of spacing and seating and other basic logistical reasons. Most reception venues don't look magical. That's where lighting comes in. Working with DJ4U's lighting team, you can take the venue you chose and use lighting to transform it into the venue of your day dreams. Projecting your name into the room above the head table or on your dance floor is an outstanding way to brand the venue as your own.
Create the perfect atmosphere for the type of reception you're having
Lighting can help differentiate and mold your reception into what you envision. Having a country-style honky-tonk? We can evoke that vibe in your guests. Want a club atmosphere? We can create that. Want a traditional ballroom feel? With the right lighting, you can strike any mood.
Colors, Towers & Columns, Texture Projections, Name-In-Lights Projections, and more
What exactly can we do with lighting? We're so happy you asked! Just to start, we can work to create any color scheme that fits what you want your reception to look like. Want something more complicated? Textured projections can turn a boring, flat surface into whatever you need it to be. And, because it's your day, we can even put your name in lights.
Truly, whatever your vision is, the right lighting can make it happen. Work with us to determine what your needs are and how we can meet them. For complete details just visit our room lighting section to learn more.